Saturday, May 29, 2010

Andy Vitrone’s Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cherries

I found this recipe in a magazine many years ago.  It's a delicious variation on the standard oatmeal raisin cookie. 

Andy Vitrone’s Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cherries

1½ cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon baking powder

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup firmly packed dark-brown sugar

½ cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

2 cups dried sour cherries

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat until combined. On low speed, add flour mixture; beat until combined. Stir in oats and dried cherries.

3. Using a 2-ounce ice-cream scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet about six inches apart. Bake until cookie edges are just turning brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, and cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to three days.

Makes about 4 dozen

These things are fantastic!

6 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

I'm going to have to check the pantry to see if I have some dried cherries. If so, I'll be trying these cookies tomorrow. If not, I'll have to make a trip to the store. Thanks for a yummy sounding recipe!

Kid said...

Sounds Great. I remember when I was about 6, I'd sneak downstairs about 2 am, mix up a bunch of flour, sugar, little milk and an egg and put in in a skillet and make a skillet cookie. Big sucker, then haul it back upstairs and feast.
:)

Brownie said...

My Dad would have loved those!

Funny... I just posted a recipe, too. But I posted pictures ;)

Kathleen said...

Oatmeal are my hubby's fave; I'll have to try this. Thanks for the recipe!

TobyBo said...

Yum.

Kristin said...

Now you've done it! I'm going to have to bake today.